Saturday, August 17, 2019
Sign up for this FUN DERBY and help protect our reef from Lionfish!
2-Person Team $50
Includes Divers Meeting, Tournament Entry, Cash Awards, & Taste of Shipwreck Park Event Entry
LIVE MUSIC BY
The Andrew Morris Band!
demos & vendors
open to the public!
Dine on fish caught during the derby at the Taste of Shipwreck Park
Saturday August 17, 6pm – 9pm
Admission: Online $35, Gate $45 / Kids ages 12-16 Online $15, Gate $25
Taste a variety of local cuisine, including Lionfish caught in the Derby!
Presented by Local Restaurants – Includes 1 Drink Ticket
At the Sample-McDougald House, Centennial Park
Pompano Beach is world renowned for its diving & fishing.
It is a huge part of our community and drives our tourism. The ample sportfishing and beautiful reefs attract people to our coastlines everyday. Unfortunately, Lionfish are depleting our bait & reef fish in record numbers.
The purpose of our two part event is to bring our community together to help educate and fight the devastating effects of Lionfish off the shores of Pompano Beach, known as Shipwreck Park.
Part one, join the LIONFISH DERBY and be part of the harvest competing for cash prizes!
Part two, lets get the community hooked on EATING LIONFISH! We invite our friends and neighbors to the Taste of Shipwreck Park. Try samplings of Lionfish dishes prepared by the best of our local chefs! Enjoy a fun evening including art, diving and marine conservation booths, celebrity judges, and live music by the Andrew Morris Band.
- Lionfish have no natural predator.
- Lionfish are an invasive species that is pushing over 100 species of fish into extinction, including Snapper and Grouper.
- They are destroying our natural reefs by consuming the fish that would normally inhabit and eat the reef algae making it Impossible for coral to continue to grow.
- One fertile Lionfish can produce up to 30,000 eggs in 4 days.
- They consume more food than any other predator, up to 90% of their body weight a day.
- One Lionfish can consume 80% of the reefs baitfish within 5 weeks of arrival.
- In our lifetime, Lionfish will be one of the largest natural disasters the Atlantic Ocean will encounter.
The one good thing about Lionfish is that they taste good, often compared to Snapper. It is our hope that we can create a demand in our local fish markets and restaurants – creating an exponential need for divers to harvest this devastating species.
TASTE OF SHIPWRECK PARK ADMISSION
EVENT SPONSORSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
Divers Meeting & Kick-Off Party
26 Degree Brewing Co. Friday 8/16/2019 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM
Saturday 8/17/19 7:30am – 4pm Scoring at Alsdorf Park / Boat Ramp Noon – 4pm
Taste of Shipwreck Park at The Sample-McDougald House
Saturday 8/17/19 6PM – 9PM Includes:
Andrew Morris Band
Lionfish Tastings by the BEST Local Chef’s